Request a Driving Safety Course
If you are charged with a moving violation, you may request a driving safety course in person or in writing to dismiss the charge.
- The request must be made on or before the appearance date on the citation.
- If you were operating a motorcycle, you must take a motorcycle operator course.
- If you were the driver charged with not wearing a safety belt or transporting a child not in a safety belt or child passenger safety seat system you must take a driving safety course that includes four hours of seat belts and child passenger safety seat systems instruction.
- Have not taken a driving safety course or motorcycle operator course for a traffic offense within the 12 months preceding the current offense.
- Are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation.
- Do not have a commercial driver’s license.
- Have not committed one of the following offenses:
a. Failure to Give Information at Accident Scene
b. Leaving the Scene of Accident
c. Passing a School Bus
d. A serious traffic violation, which applies to commercial motor vehicle operators
e. An offense in a construction maintenance zone when workers are present
If you received a citation for speeding 25 mph over the speed limit or were involved in an accident, you are required to appear in court to submit your request for a driving safety course.
In order to take a driving safety course, you must do the following:
- Qualify under set eligibility.
- Submit a copy of your valid Texas Driver’s License
- Submit a copy of your auto insurance policy (defendant must be a listed driver)
- Plea guilty or nolo contendere(no contest)
- Pay court cost